The Benefits of Dental Implants
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a substitute for the roots of a missing tooth. The implant consists of a small, titanium screw that is permanently fixed to the bone of your upper or lower jaw. It provides the base for your replacement tooth. The replacement tooth itself is designed to look identical to your natural teeth.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
There are many benefits to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants will give you back your smile. Having self-esteem affects many aspects of your life, including relationships and your career. Improving your appearance will vastly improve how you view yourself and how others see you as well.
- Better speech. Unlike dentures, which can slip around in your mouth, dental implants stay in one place. That allows you to speak naturally without any mumbling or slurring of your words.
- Convenience and comfort. Because implants fuse directly to your bone, they become a part of you. Dental implants eliminate the discomfort and inconvenience of removable dentures as well as messy adhesives.
- Enjoy eating. Patients with missing teeth are unable to chew food well and often don’t receive adequate nutrition as a result. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to confidently eat all your favourite foods again.
- Improved oral health. With dental implants, it’s not necessary to alter adjacent teeth to support the implant. Since more of your own teeth are left intact, it improves your long-term oral health.
- Good value. Although slightly more expensive than other treatments, dental implants are better value for your money because they last a lifetime. They look and feel just like your own teeth and have a 98% success rate for most patients.
Who Is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
It’s important to have enough bone density in your jaw to support the implant. If you have osteoporosis or a chronic illness, your dentist may advise an alternative treatment. If you are in good health (other than the missing tooth!), you are likely an ideal candidate for dental implants in Delta. After careful evaluation of your dental and overall medical history, your dentist will work with you to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants.
If you are considering dental implants, contact Nordel Dental Clinic, where we have helped patients across Delta, B.C. improve their smile.